Two weeks ago I talked about the similarities between dating and looking for a job, and the first similarity was in regards to where to find a suitable mate: in places where you know others are looking. The article I referred to didn’t list where these places are, so I’m wondering where are the best places to meet people these days?
The Bandeka team has been hard at work adding new features that have JUST BEEN LAUNCHED! For those that don’t know where the idea for Bandeka arose from: while in business school, co-founders Tunde and Yaw found that their friends and colleagues were expressing their dissatisfaction with the traditional forms of meeting potential mates: bars and other social venues, pure chance?? So they thought it should be easier for like-minded Africans to meet!
Bandeka is an adaptation of the word Bandika, or ‘connect’ in Swahili. The site’s goal is to connect amazing Africans, who without a platform targeted towards them, may never meet. On the site, you are allowed to search for members by African nationality, current residence, and other characteristics. You can also get relationship advice from members, attend our private social events (we’ve had one already and will be having one tonight), and find out who on the platform has a mutual interest in you. The site has now transitioned to invite-only so make sure to get your friends to invite you, or email us firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For those of you wondering where to meet members of the opposite sex, Askmen.com counts down the top 10 ways to meet girls outside of bars: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/dating/top-10-ways-to-meet-girls-outside-of-bars.html … I honestly think the list is missing some of the obvious places like at a friends house or at church.
10. The Gym: “This is one of the easiest places to meet a woman if you play your cards right…A word of warning: Wait until she’s finished working out. Interrupting her while she’s running on the treadmill is not a good move and likely to get you shot down.”
9. The Grocery Store: “An exceptionally accessible place to pick up women, because there are so many things you can ask her about. “Have you tried these chocolate-coated gummy bears?” Or, “Do you know which aisle the pickles are in?” Not to mention, different supermarkets attract different types of women. There are the monster chains, the budget chains, the natural/organic indie stores or the monolith natural grocery chains. Know who you’re looking to attract, and then home in on them.”
8. Art Museum Parties: “Not only is it safe to assume she’s relatively well-cultured… but she is likely well-traveled, intelligent and unique. Most cities have a “First Friday,” which is a free party at one of the local art museums.”
7. Music Festival: “You already know she has excellent musical tastes, and you have an easy conversation starter: the band.”
6. Laundromat: “It takes at least half an hour to wash a load and another 45 minutes to dry it. In other words, you’ve got plenty of time to ‘work your charm’.”
5. Volunteering: “Even the most cynical of women will likely find a man who cares about saving the world sexy. When a guy can show his caring side (while still appearing masculine), it sets off a woman’s “awww” factor.”
4. The Shoe Store: “…guys can easily feign ignorance when it comes to dressing themselves. Choose two pairs of shoes you can’t decide between, and ask lady lovely for her opinion.”
3. Join a Class or Team: “A woman who joins a sports team is likely to be fun and outgoing and not afraid to get a little dirty. The bonus is you’ll get to know her over time as opposed to feeling pressured to hit on her ASAP.”
2. The Book Store: “This might be one of the most perfect places to meet a woman for the simple fact that many have a coffee shop, giving you a built-in date of sorts. Plus, you’ll get some insight into her psyche based on what she’s reading.”
1. In line, Any Line: “Think about it: Standing in line sucks. Especially if you’re at the return line at the electronics store after the holidays, the DMV, the post office, or any government office. When people are irritated, they need a sympathetic ear to vent their frustration… She’s got plenty of time and nowhere to go except two steps forward.